Justice and Peace | Cois Tine
“Proclaim the Message”
Festival Programme 3rd – 6th October 2004
Organised by the Irish Missionary Union
The Festival was held at Baile An Easpaig Beag- Bishopstown GAA Club, CORK.
Launch of “Mission Alive” took place at Shandon Boatclub Marina, Cork in collaboration with Meitheal Mara. For more… here
October 3rd at 11.00 am.
Opening Mass was clelebratede at Holy Spirit Parish Church, Dennehy’s Cross, Cork.
Principal Celebrant: Archbishop Pius Ncube, Archbishop of Bulawayo, Zimbabwe.
This Mass was broadcast live by RTE 1.
Issues addressed included…
- World Religions and inter faith dialogue
- Racism and Multiculturalism
- Welcome the stranger
- Herbal Medicine
- World Debt
- Our response to HIV/AIDS
- Asia, its way of life, culture, challenges and languages
- Africa, its way of life, culture, challenges and languages
- Latin America, its way of life, culture, challenges and languages
- Eastern Europe, its way of life, challenges!, culture and languages
Irish Missionary Union,
Tel: 01 4965433 / 01 4911904
“A call for a fair transparent and prompt Asylum Process”
Cois Tine in Cork, is an outreach programme of the SMA Justice & Peace Desk, supported by other religious. It responds to the pastoral needs of refugees and asylum seekers.
During the Festival, Cois Tine launched a campaign calling on the Irish Government to
- Ensure a fair and prompt Asylum process.
- Give the right to work to Asylum Seekers whose applications have not been processed within six months of arrival in Ireland.
- Grant residency rights to non-Irish parents with children born in Ireland who had applied for residency prior to the Supreme Court decision of January 2003.
- Regularise the status of people who have been waiting more than two years for a decision on their asylum application.
- Grant Asylum Seekers, who do not qualify for recognition as refuges but who are in need of protection, leave to remain on humanitarian grounds.
Fr Angelo Lafferty SMA
Justice & Peace Co-ordinator
21 Victoria Avenue,
021 – 4316593
email: [email protected]