Millennium Development Goals
RTE to air a four part series on the MDGs
beginning 5 May 2011
At the start of the new millennium, 189 nations of the world agreed eight millennium development goals that they believed would transform the lives of the poor of the world.
They are as follows:
• Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
• Achieve universal primary education
• Promote gender equality and empower women
• Reduce child mortality
• Improve maternal health
• Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
• Ensure environmental sustainability
• Develop a global partnership for development
Our pictures show former President Kenneth Kaunda of Zambia with one of the TV producers, Peadar King. The second picture is Nana Chinegowe from Malawi, a grandmother of three orphan children.